Expo 2003 Previews
© 2003 Door & Access Systems
Publish Date: Spring 2003
Author: Tom Wadsworth
Expo 2003 Preview
The International Garage Door Exposition moves to San Antonio this year, April 23-26. Here are a few of the highlights of this year’s event.
San Antonio! The city’s annual Fiesta will be running concurrently with our Expo. Fiesta (April 19-27) is a 9-day, citywide, multi-cultural, family-oriented celebration. The event claims to be "the biggest party and greatest community benefit in the state of Texas."
Fiesta After the Awards: Thu. 7-11 p.m. After the annual Awards Banquet, catch a special Expo Fiesta party with races, line dancing, souvenir photos, and much more.
Keynoter Brian Tracy: Fri. 9 a.m. Tracy has given more than 2,000 talks and has worked with more than 500 companies worldwide. With a fast-moving, entertaining style, Tracy will show you how to improve productivity, manage more effectively, and increase sales.
Exhibits: Fri/Sat. More than 130 exhibitors will bring their latest products and services to the Expo exhibit hall. The hall will be open Friday (10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.) and Saturday (10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.).
For more information about Expo 2003, go to www.doors.org.
Barbara Kelkhoff is president of the IDEA, the organization that manages the workshop portion of Expo. This year’s training lineup includes 30 seminars and workshops, up from 22 last year.
When asked if she could promote only three of these offerings, here are Barb’s Best of the Best.
- Selling Quality to your Customers. "This is a new seminar presented by Dale Monnin, an experienced sales professional from a family in the door industry." (Wed. 4-5:30 p.m., Thurs. 10-11:30 a.m.)
- Commercial Operator Troubleshooting. "This workshop has been a resounding success at several regionals, so we are bringing it to Expo." (Sat. 8:30-11:30 a.m.)
- IDEA Train-the-Trainer. "This course is a wonderful opportunity to get your dealership started in the Installer Certification programs." (Wed. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
Barb’s Top Ten New Seminars and Workshops
- Selling Quality to your Customers (Wed. 4-5:30 p.m., Thurs. 10-11:30 a.m.)
- Invent Business Opportunities No One Else Can Imagine (Thurs. 1-2:30 p.m.)
- Getting a Grip on the Section Interface Standard (Wed. 2-3:30 p.m.)
- Commercial Operator Troubleshooting (Sat. 8:30-11:30 a.m.)
- Vehicular Gate and Operator Mock Trial (Thurs. 10-11:30 a.m.)
- "Garage Door Safety Month" is Good Business (3-4:30 p.m.)
- Success Doesn't Just Happen - Plan for it! (Thurs. 10-11:30 a.m.)
- Pedestrian Door Forum (Wed. 11-12:30 p.m. and 2-3:30 p.m.)
- Reducing Your Liability Exposure to Automated Gates (Thurs. 1-2:30 p.m. and 3-4:30 p.m.)
- Effective Business Communication for Door Dealers (Thurs. 6:30-7:30 a.m. and 5-6 p.m.)
Barb also urges dealers to "look for information at this year's Expo on the release of IDEA's newest installer certification program, Rolling Steel Fire Door Installer Certification."